Saturday, August 5, 2017

"Grouse And Gold" With A T-Shirt

The Grouse and Gold soft hackle. This is a common fly, well maybe not so common, but the materials are and have been in use for centuries. The first is pretty simple in both material and ease of tying. Grouse is a feather that is pretty forgiving, and it does not slip or break easily as some fathers do and it has that mottled look that is very appealing to trout. The recipe is...Hook #14, Body, Gold Thread, Thorax Olive Squirrel, and the Hackle is Grouse.



This is a variant of the first fly. The difference is the thorax which is a holographic thread. I can't give you the name of the thread for it was given to me by another fly tyer and either I forgot what he told me or he never mentioned it.


I did fish this fly and received mixed results....I'll give it another workout soon.


A camo t-shirt. Mark over at "Fishing Small Streams" uses a similar shirt and has suggested it to me that I do likewise. Well Mark I did and it does help conceal me much better on those little streams. This shirt was a bargain at 10 bucks, it is lightweight and does not make one sweaty and clammy as some camo shirts do. Thanks buddy.







12 comments:

  1. OK I'll bite, where does one get a camouflage t shirt for 10 bucks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff Passante
    Thanks
    Jeff I got mine at Dick's...both Plainville and Newington CT stores had them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan
    very nice fly there! I like the camo idea, may have to join the club. Do they have long sleeve too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1
      Thanks
      Pete I believe they had long sleeve shirts too.
      I probably should have picked up one of those.

      Delete
  4. Well, you've got another t-shirt coming to you soon. I promise. They are in my hot little hands. I'm just waiting to see if you win a wading staff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett
      Thanks
      Howard I'll take it. You can ship it along with the wading staff.

      Delete
  5. That little cane & silk rod is the sweetest looking rod that I've ever seen. What type of reel is on it.....444 peach or 444sl line ? I like the smallmouth story's, been chasing them housy fighters more than 30 years......great writing all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      Thanks
      That rod is one of the best finds for me since I have been fly fishing. That rod is perfection.
      I use two reels, one is a TFO BVK 0...the other is a Orvis Battenkill click and pawl. Smallies are awesome on a fly rod.

      Delete
  6. Alan
    That shirt is a bargain, I'm beginning to think I may need a darker shirt when fishing the Caney; water is super. Do you use fluorocarbon leaders fishing those small streams? Nice work at the vice--thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill I use 6x fluorocarbon tippet.

      Delete
  7. Nice Shirt! I think you will like it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Wittman
      Thanks
      Mark so far I believe it's made a difference....brookies think I'm a tree.
      Any edge we can gain is a plus.

      Delete