Sunday, July 24, 2016

Catskill Flies, Plus.......

Jeanette and I took a drive today to check on a few small streams and to enjoy the walks that bring us stream side. While the water was low we found numerous pools that held sizeable amounts of water. These pools had good flows entering them along with a lovely tree canopy keeping the water cool. Looking into a few of them I surprised a fair share of brookies who darted and were soon out of sight. This was a good sign, but rain is needed.

While driving home we passed what was an old fly shop. This shop was the first one where I purchased flies when I started my interest in fly fishing. Us older anglers who fished the Farmington river in the late 60's and 70's know of the shop I'm speaking of. The shop has been closed for some time and today for the first time I noticed the door open. I stopped and had a pleasant conversation with the son of the owner of the shop. I was able to gain a lot of information in the short time we talked. I will return and try to talk to him again, maybe I will get his permission to share it with you.


I would like to share with you several dry flies I have in my collection from various Catskill fly tyers. These flies are crisp and elegant and a joy to look at. I hope you enjoy them.




"The Beaverkill" this is one of my favorites. This fly was fished extensively on Catskill waters. In Mike Valla's book "Tying Catskill Style Dry Flies" there is a photo of this fly as tied by Mary Dette.



18 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures of well tied flies. They will all produce, I am quite sure of that. Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam time tested patterns...trout still love them.

      Delete
  2. Alan, I agree that fan wing beaver kill is beautiful. In my opinion the Catskil drys are some of the most beautiful examples of drys in existence. You just don't see a whole lot of them in fly bins anymore , it's a shame because they still catch fish. Beautiful examples Alan, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad Basehore
      Thanks
      Brad that pattern is so elegant, and was a favorite of those in the Catskills who fished in the golden day's of fly fishing. No we don't see them gracing the fly bins, but they should.

      Delete
  3. I entered into the sport after the golden days of the Catskill dry fly. I can no longer go into a shop and buy these flies, nor do I ever see anyone on the stream fishing them. They are delicate and balanced, and in my eyes the beautiful in their sparseness.

    I make it a point every spring to greet the Quill Gordon hatch with a classic delicate Quill Gordon Catskill fly. Some things just feel right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. srtilis
      Thanks
      My friend you have nailed it. There are a few shops in the Catskills where you can purchase them, a I hope all of the new converts entering our passion will take the time to pick up a few of these and continue to fish them....may you have many more days on the river fishing the "Quill Gordon".

      Delete
  4. Stunning looking flies Alan. I hope we get to hear "the rest of the story."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett
      Thanks
      Howard I hope I'll get the chance to talk to the gentleman again soon.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful flies. I love how that last one looks, I'll have to give it a try. And that brook trout in the background reminds me a lot of some of those I caught in "the Bathtub" in ME

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RM Lytle
      Rowan it's a pretty fly, and I'm sure you'll take a very pretty trout with it.

      Delete
  6. Those are beauties Brk Trt! Simple works of art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUTI
      Thanks
      Pete flies of the old days...time tested and honored.

      Delete
  7. Love the Catskill's! Nice collection. Like the Dewitt box as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph Long
      Thanks
      Ralph I love Dewitt boxes. I think it's the only box to carry the Catskill fly.

      Delete
  8. The fly tying traditions of yesteryear are remarkable......... Those just entering the fly tying circles have a rich history to look back on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandpa Mel
      Thanks
      Mel the old tyers did much with the limited quality of materials as compared with today. A rich history indeed.

      Delete
  9. It's amazing to have those "chance" encounters with history Alan - glad you were able to enjoy that.

    The flies are amazing, I'm sure looking each over brings a lot of memories back. Very cool!

    Will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibernation
      Thanks
      Will I was so delighted to talk to him. 45 years seemed to vanish and it was all new again.
      Memories are so sweet.

      Delete