Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The "Winter Brown"

Robert L. Smith photo

The Winter Brown, a North Country Fly that dates back to 1817. I came across this pattern while reading the book "The North Country Fly". It boasts of simplicity and ability. One only need look at it to see it's potential as a fish taker. In the book it's told by John Swarbrick dated Nov.30, 1817.....N0.1 Winter Brown...

The fly represents the little stone flies you see along the stream edges on rocks and in the air. In Swarbrick's description he states the a body of red silk, but most of the patterns are tied using orange silk and this is how I tied the fly.


The "Winter Brown"....Fine wire #14 hook, Pearsall's Orange Silk body, brown back feather from a partridge, peacock herl head.




The look of this fly is some what different when wet and is pretty effective as you will see in my next post.


28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Mark
      Thanks
      They do come together rather nice.

      Delete
  2. Those winter stones have always fascinated me, ever since I found nymphs crawling on the snow more that 20 yards from the stream. I'm sure that fly would be great during the emergence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RM Lytle
      Thanks
      Rowan I've seen trout sipping these little guys from time to time.

      Delete
  3. I ditto Mark - awesome Tie's Alan, gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking pattern Alan! I'm going to have to give that one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Knapp
      Thanks
      Dave the fly worked very well for me the other day.

      Delete
  5. I really like how you accented it with the peacock hearl in front of the soft hackle. Sharp looking fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justin Carfagnini
      Thanks
      Justin that is how the fly was tied almost 200 years ago.

      Delete
  6. Alan
    Another outstanding hackle with the color orange as an attention getter!!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill that combination work so very well...small streams, and the Farmington.

      Delete
  7. Nice looking fly, Sir. Any chance you could tell me what you're using for hooks?

    ReplyDelete
  8. thedeadfisher
    Thanks
    John thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my area of the world the Amish have a saying " this a gift to be simple" I think you have that very gift Alan. Beautiful flies and very simple. Justin commented he likes the peacock, I totally agree,nice touch. I know I will be using that fly this winter as we have streams in my area of pa. That have little stones all winter. Also sold on that hook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad Basehore
      Thanks
      Brad the Amish are to be admired. If you have stone flies these North Country flies may fool the resident trout. I take it you have used that hook.

      Delete
  10. Alan,
    Can't wait to see this beauty "in the damp". Your tying is outstanding!
    Dougsden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dougsden
      Thanks
      Doug it's some what different for sure. The brookies liked it.

      Delete
  11. Tying flies on a cold winter's night is a great way to spend one's time. I enjoy it a great deal. Great flies, Alan, with nice fish being caught with them in the future. Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam winter nights were designed for fly tying, as well as dreaming of river hatches and awesome sunsets.

      Delete