Monday, January 18, 2016

A Walk-About..."Outback"


As I enjoy my first cup of coffee this morning I'm saying to myself "glad I was able to get out yesterday an fish", for it's windy and cold and snowing. Yesterday was a bleak day, typical January I guess. As I pulled off the paved road to park I had some thoughts on what I wanted to take place this day. Catching fish was one of them but not the only reason. I was here to check out the "outback" or maybe a better name would be the "upper outback". I was geared to walk some so I chose to leave the waders in the car and instead chose hiking boots, a lot more comfortable. I started walking in through the woods and found numerous little streams, they were all running scantly but so very clear. As I neared the stream I found it to be in fantastic shape and anticipation of a fine day came forward.

I had visited this section of stream only once, that coming in this past summer so I knew the area a bit but not much about the trout I had hoped would be there. I came to a nice run that held some deeper pockets and tossed out "pinkie" because that's what I had on from my last outing. I tie my "pinkies" without weight and that was not helping me to get the fly down. I changed to a bead-head fly and that was just what I needed, or should I say what the fish needed.

There were some surprisingly deep holes along this stretch.
And a few of them held willing trout.



My first fish of the day. A stunning wild brown. His orange spots so brilliant....wish I could have seen him in sunlight. And he was also very acrobatic.



The stream was very generous, giving many strikes, and some hookups.


These browns were very healthy as you can see....


Behind the boulder is a eddy with lots of swirling water. I had a nice fish on be it so briefly...I'll remember to hit that spot again.


This brown was some what pale in comparison to the others....the parr marks and adipose fin really stand out though.


A beautiful few hours..."a walk-about" in "brown trout forest".....




25 comments:


  1. WOW!!! A very productive walk about!! Gorgeous browns!! Well done there Brk Trt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Alan! I was hoping to get out today some but with the wind blowing and temperatures down below freezing it doesn't look too hopeful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark
      Thanks
      Mark, brilliant sunshine is so deceiving. Things may moderate mid-week.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful fish, beautiful stream, beautiful outback. From my perspective there's nothing typical or bleak about your mid January day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thedeadfisher
      Thanks
      John when you put it that way it's not to bad.

      Delete
  4. Lester Kish
    Thanks
    Lester it's like someone left the freezer doors open. Deep snow can make walking tough, although very pretty. It's nice just getting out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan
    Fantastic stream, in fact one of the best looking ones you have shown all of us, so scenic. Did you try any dries at all? Still trying to figure out what the trout think the pickie is??? Enjoyed the post---by the way the high here today is 38 and that is cold for here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell
      Thanks
      Bill it's a nice easy stream. No dries they wanted everything from the middle to the bottom.
      I don't know what the trout think but they like it especially in winter.
      A taste of winter is in Alabama.....

      Delete
  6. really nice. i know it's been a weird winter, but keep expecting some snow there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TexWisGirl
      Thanks
      Theresa, the weather guessers are predicting a nor'easter saturday..fun is.

      Delete
  7. Alan, those are some of the prettiest browns I have ever seen. Amazing how bright their orange spots are. Beautiful looking stream too, not being brush choked like one small stream I fish near home. That fact has to add to the fun. Regards, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parachute Adams
      Thanks
      Sam they were handsome. That first one truly special.
      The stream was a pleasure, and the brush chocked stream you speak of are getting tougher for me.

      Delete
    2. Same for me, Alan. I'll keep hitting them as long as I can though, same as you.

      Delete
  8. I don't think their is anything as beautiful as the brook trout you have showed us,but I have to say those are magnificent wild Browns. Mother Nature always does it better. I don't think I have seen better examples of wild Browns. You really have the best of both worlds.thanks for the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad Basehore
      Thanks
      Brad the brown trout although not native has been with us for a long time...sort of a "naturalized" resident. At certain times of the year their colors are hard to beat.

      Delete
  9. These fish really excel. Good to be reminded these seeds of color are there under the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim Yaussy Albright
      Thanks
      Jim, excel in so many ways at that.

      Delete
  10. It's nice to see some browns show up once in awhile. How nice to find such beauties close to home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett
      Thanks
      Howard I have to keep it fresh. That stream has always been a good friend.

      Delete
  11. Alan, That Wild Brown is incredible! A perfect walkabout Alan. I'll take some snow however the noreaster can slow itself down a bit.
    Kurt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brookie61
      Thanks
      Kurt the snow will get us eventually. I do enjoy fishing in a light snow fall.

      Delete
  12. You are fortunate to have such great water nearby. Those brown trout are truly stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Knapp
      Thanks
      Dave I know it and I'm grateful. That stream is but 20 minutes from home.

      Delete
  13. Those waters are so beautiful, and the fish you pull out of them are nothing short of stunning.

    ReplyDelete