Monday, January 13, 2014

The Large Arbors for the Small Stream


Large arbor fly reels have always been associated with fishing larger rivers. They serve the angler well when he has targeted big, strong hard fighting fish. I have also found them to be some of the best for small streams, when they are scaled down to fit the stream. The large arbor reel holds the line in a relaxed state so when it's stripped from the reel the line does not retain that spring like effect, I find  this is especially helpful in cold weather. I also find that they balance much better on the rod in comparison to conventional fly reels.  These are a few of the large arbor reels I now use.
This is the Ross Fly Rise LA reel. It's a reel I have used many times and have never experienced any problems. It weighs 4.4 ounces and balances well on several of my 6 foot rods.





This is the Redington Drift LA. This is also a very reliable reel and at 3.5 ounces it's the lightest of all of my LA reels. This reel balances perfectly on my Cabela's TQR 5ft 2wt rod.




This is the Orvis Battenkill LA. This is my first purchase of a LA reel. I have been using this reel for years and it has never failed. It comes in at 3.9 ounces and balances very well on 6 and 7 foot rods.



These reels with the exception of the Orvis were under 100.00 dollars, and by today's standard that's a pretty good deal.






12 comments:

  1. Brk Trt, I too like the large arbor reels for all my fly rods and actually I just purchased a new one 2 weeks ago. I bought and added the Cabelas WLx 2.3 model reel to my collection thru their online bargain cave. That reel is MFG'd from Lamson water works, which is a quality company that makes quality products. Its sized for a 2/3wt line setup & I saved BIG money through the bargain cave.
    Great post!!!............Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DRYFLYGUY,
      Thanks.
      Phil I just checked their site and saw that reel. It's a gem.

      Delete
  2. Alan

    I also use large arbor reels (LA) for that same reason....a lot less line memory...

    I love that reddington....a perfect reel..

    people can still own really nice things without overpaying

    as far as the ORVIS...I hope you got it- long ago...otherwise you payed too much!! besides....its not the gear that catches the fish-but whats on the end of the tippet..i have nothing against orvis...I own a nice pair of wading boots....but lately the fly-fishing industry has really gotten expensive beyond control..and it just makes it hard for a blue-collar worker to be out-fitted the proper way...
    saving that money for this up-coming FLY EXPO in Marlboro mass...this coming wk end...hope to see everyone there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. flyfisher1000,
      Thanks.
      I am not one to buy high end products, especially for small streams. The Orvis reel did come into my possession as a gift quite a few years ago. I like to keep it simple as well as frugal. There are some wonderful bargains out there, you just have to look.

      Delete
  3. Alan
    As you may know I am really into light fly reels and rods. I have been using the Drift 2/3 and the Battenkill Stock I fly reels for some time now; both were in the equipment that was stolen 3 weeks ago.
    I manage to find the Drift on Ebay last week for 75.00 and the litte Battenkill reel at Elk Springs Fly Fishing for 50.00; I paid 100.00 each when I bought both these reels some years ago. I was lucky to find both reels for ----those prices. There are only a few of the Battenkill Bar Stock reels left online now. Orvis doesn’t make this reel anymore, what a shame. Redington told me the other day they will only handle the Drift 2/3 in the future. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      Ebay is a good resource to find tackle. And that Drift reel is one of the best deals out there.
      Orvis will come back with BBS, only new and improved model, and then tack on another 75.00 bucks to it.

      Delete
  4. I have a few Tibor Riptides and I love the large arbor. I find you can really pick up line when a bass or blue heads at the boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Savage,
      Thanks.
      That's another plus for the large arbors.

      Delete
  5. Alan
    would you happen to have a "home-made" pegboard plans for a set-up to make own furled leaders..i found one that someone had posted a drawing in a blog....but forgot to save that site....lol

    I'm looking to make a 3/4 strand thread....I don't like paying $ 12 everytime I have a break-off. or snag it on a rock /ice....
    any thoughts would VERY much be appreciated...

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. flyfisher1000,
      Thanks.
      Unfortunately I buy my leaders, both furled and braided. I think Mark at "Fishing Small Streams" blog makes furled leaders. You may want to contact him.

      Delete
  6. Brk Trt,

    I really enjoyed this article. I got a reel good deal on a couple Hardy CC 1000 reels. I absolutely love them. I don't get that much of an opportunity to fish for trout too much, but I do enjoy the line pick up when I am fishing for smallmouth bass. I have a couple of old Lamson LPL's that I absolutely love, but can't stand the line memory. Nice work on your blog, I really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. philthedude,
      Thanks.
      Hardy reels are known for quality. And they seem to perform well by your account. Smallmouth are great sport on the fly.

      Delete