Wednesday, November 13, 2013

It doesn"t get any better....It can't

Saturday and Sunday were sweet days afield. Monday just seemed to be sweeter. The stream I chose to fish is one I'm familiar with, but haven't fished this section in quite some time. The day could not have been better weather wise. A bright warm sun filled the woods and was so welcomed on my shoulders. Such days can also make for spooky trout, especially with low water conditions and the first few steps taken sent several trout to the highlands. There was not a single bug coming off the water, but I had to toss a dry. After some time I realized it was not going to happen and opted for a wet. As the day moved on this proved to be the right choice.


Even in death, nature shows incredible beauty.


Can you see the deer?
While extracting a fly from the briars I felt as if someone was watching me. I had not seen anyone, or caught any movement. I stared across the stream and observed a deer almost concealed in the brush. She had moved so quietly through the laurel and spotted me and froze. They are truly woodland ghosts.



The stream gave up some very beautiful wild browns. There brilliant red adipose fins and the red stripe on the bottom of the tail looked like fire in the sunlight.

The stream drops here and forms a large deep pool. It looks very promising but has yet to give up a fish. Below this pool the stream turns and begins to flow under a place this angler will always throw a fly. As the fly moved through the shade and barley touched sunlight on the other side the line went stiff. I set the hook and a few moments later I held a jewel. I tried for another photo but the brook trout said one and done.

It's at this time when you say it can't get any better.

As I was walking to my car I noticed some disturbance in the water. Slowing down I saw what appeared to be a somewhat large fish in the water. Moving closer I saw a big female brown. She appeared to be making a nursery. It was water maybe 6 inches deep. The head and shoulders of this brown were awesome. I took the photo and walked away. I'll be back in a later time.



CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE







35 comments:

  1. Brk Trt,
    nicely done...........Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful fish. Glad you had a nice warm day to fish on Monday. Cold this morning, brrr....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apache Trout,
      Thanks.
      Your right John, it was the best day out of the last three. I had ice on the pond out front this morning.

      Delete
  3. it took me a bit, but i did see the deer. just beautiful scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TexWisGirl,
      Thanks.
      I don't know how long she was there, but after making eye contact she soon departed.

      Delete
  4. I'd have to agree with the title of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, as always. Great woodland photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz,
      Thanks.
      You could have sat there and drank coffee for hours.

      Delete
  6. I envy the lifestyle Brk Trt. Thank you for all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Carlson,
      Thanks.
      I'm grateful the good Lord allows me to continue.
      I love doing it.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Kevin Frank,
      Thanks.
      He was a beautiful wild jewel.

      Delete
  8. Great post and pictures Alan, enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post and pictures Alan, enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. brian,
      Thanks.
      Not as much as I enjoyed bringing it to you.

      Delete
  10. Glad to see your are making the most of these little window of nice weather this late in the year. Love the color of the browns and brookies this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      Thanks.
      It's been cold these last few days, but they say it could hit 60 by the weekend.

      Delete
  11. Mark
    Absolute stunning image the big brown, yes I would put that one on my bucket list. Have you tried a beadhead in the deep hole? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      Bill, that deep hole is a short run and somewhat hard to make a good presentation. It's a thought though.

      Delete
  12. You never cease to amaze me and that is why I follow your wonderful blog. Incredible photography, simply stunning pictures of some beautiful fish. Yes, I was able to pick out the deer after a second look. They have amazing senses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel Moore,
      Thanks.
      They are special creatures. Seems as if every time I see one I learn something new about them.

      Delete
  13. I found the deer, but it was the pictures of the fish that were amazing!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stewart M,
      Thanks.
      Cheers to you my friend from Down Under. Glad to have you here and comment often.

      Delete
  14. Great finish to an outing: gorgeous brook and a big brown photographed only!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rivertoprambles,
      Thanks.
      It was amazing how long she stayed there. Taking care of business I guess.

      Delete
  15. Pretty amazing pictures Alan. I found the deer but missed out on the brown. Just joking but you do some amazing work. Double your pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard,
      Thanks.
      I think when I learn how to use the new camera, I might not fish anymore.

      Delete
  16. That brookie is gorgeous! The picture with the deer is cool too. I have had similar experiences like that in the past. Their stealthy movements never cease to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi,
      Thanks.
      If we as anglers could move like deer along a stream our fishing would improve.

      Delete
  17. Beautiful fish to go along with your wonderful Fall weather. That looks like a big brown for those small waters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HighPlainsFlyFisher,
      Thanks.
      Man she sure was. I was thinking of you this morning. Got a hankering for some of that smoked sausage stew you put together. Got a recipe?

      Delete
  18. Beautiful red spotted creatures...gifts from above..

    ReplyDelete