Friday, June 15, 2012

Seek and Find



In a post I did earlier this week where I told of revisiting a few streams I had not fished in a long time. I mentioned hooking a sizable brook trout on a dry fly. The fish was holding in a difficult place to present a fly. After numerous casts I managed to place the fly in the sweet spot. The trout took the fly. And as I brought him in he gave the fly back to me.


Well I went back to that stream today. By the way the weather was super today. I had picked my Sage 7ft 3wt to do the work today. Tied on a fly and let it go. I picked up a few wonderful brookies in various stream hideouts. But that big guy was in the back of my mind. When I reached the place where he was hooked I had good feelings. I worked that fly into the same place where he had been before. There was no response though. I continued to work the stream. And in a beautiful deep run the fly was sucked under. As I pulled back on the Sage I could feel his weight. A good battle was waged but victory was mine this time.


A photo of this beautiful male, and off he went. I may have to start hanging a net on my pack.


CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE




25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. RKM,
      Thanks.
      He should be something this fall.

      Delete
  2. Nice job Alan. That's a beauty for sure. What did he take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard Levett,
      Thanks.
      He took an Ausable Bomber dry fly.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Kiwi,
      Thanks.
      I believe the mild winter helped to grow some healthy fish.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Steve Zakur,
      Thanks.
      I would love to catch him later in the year when he's colored up.

      Delete
  5. WOW! Nice fish amigo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apache Trout,
      Thanks.
      Could he be one of those little frog eaters?

      Delete
  6. Never a Boy Scout I see (be prepared and all that). Get a nice one that you can hook on the D-Ring on the back of your vest and you'll always have it and it won't be in the way. If I'm fishing somewhere where I might need it often, I hook it to a belt loop so it's handy.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoreman,
      Thanks.
      Usually the small streams I fish I can handle the fish OK. It's been a few times where the net is required. I should carry one though.

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful fish, I think Brookies must be the prettiest of all the trout, I catch some bonny Brown trout from my local streams but they don't come close to the colouration of the Brook trout.

    It's funny how often you can catch the same fish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas Cameron Hall,
      Thanks.
      They truly are one of the prettiest. It's a little bit of luck and knowing where they prefer to be.

      Delete
  8. Beauty! Glad to see your persistence was rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,
      Thanks.
      I knew he was in one of the 2 or 3 deeper pools. All that was needed was for him to take a fly.

      Delete
  9. Very nice indeed Brk Trt!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't believe I've ever been as happy to see another angler land a beauty like that! I did write that with a hint of envy but I'm glad to see healthy fish like that and glad to see one come to someone whom appreciates it like you! Well done Sir well done indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill,
      Thanks.
      I appreciate that comment very much.

      Delete
  11. Brk
    Absolute beautiflu brook trout with size to boot. I think this is one your largest in these remote streams. I like your choice of fly rod for this trip also. What size dry did you land him on? As always a great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful stream and handsome trout! Perfect for tenkara.

    The Tenkara Ambassador (www.tenkaraambassador.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      Thanks.
      These streams fit the Tenkara style for sure.

      Delete
  13. You keep catching those lunkers Brk Trt and a net may be a necessity...

    ReplyDelete