Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Late June, And A Small Stream






Yesterday was a autumn like day. The air was crisp with a slight breeze and sunshine. We had received some showers the day before and some areas ample amounts were recorded. This was my time to pay a visit to a stream, a wild brookie stream. The last time I was here the water was low, and I decided not to fish. But today it looked OK. I was armed with my 6ft 2wt and a few dry flies. As I approached the stream I could see the dense green canopy. It almost blocked the sun from reaching the ground. There's a special feeling one gets as he walks such places. It's hard to put it into words the sounds and sights of water and forest.


One of the things I do when fishing these streams in summer is to check the water temps. I do this upon reaching the first run, and continue to do it at various intervals along the stream. The stream temp was a constant 60 degrees.


Well it didn't take long to get a response to my offering. As I drifted the fly along a brushy bank a wild brook trout intercepted it and soon was at hand.


I love this type of fishing. A light pack containing water, a Cliff Bar, camera, a fly box and a few accessories is all that's needed. Also wet wading can be refreshing. LL Bean wading shoes.


As continued to fish I was given the chance to bring a few brookies close. The Ausable Wulff did what was needed to bring the fish to the top. As I approached this very likely pool, I said to myself there's got to be a trout in there. Letting the Wulff go I watched as it drifted to the sweet spot, and suddenly a crash took place on the surface and the fly gone. I could feel the trout and the battle that was about to begin, a battle only a wild brook trout give you in such places.


A few moments later and this wonderful work of natural art was at hand.


I love days like this.


CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE


All photos and text cannot be used without permission.






29 comments:

  1. Wow, what a beauty! Nice one Alan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful colors on those fish.

    Wearing shorts in the woods..............I hope you had bug spray with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great day. It's nice to see the stream was in good shape. Now I won't be able to concentrate at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RKM,
      Thanks.
      The stream was a lot better since the last time.

      Delete
  4. Yesterday did have a "fall-like" feel to it....wish I could have been out on the water. The last brookie looks like it's getting into it's fall colors. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi,
      Thanks.
      Really refreshing. He did have great colors for so early.

      Delete
  5. There is something to be said for a walk in the woods...those last 2 images are particularly sharp! Glad you enjoyed the day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Water temps in Long Island Sound are already in the upper 60's to low 70's. A nice shaded stream with cold water sounds like a nice place to spend a summer day. At what point do the brookies get stressed out due to high water temps? Nice pics thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Savage,
      Thanks.
      I saw the sound temps and thought it was pretty warm for so early.
      I don't know exactly what the stress temp would be. I usually won't fish a stream if the water temp is above 66.

      Delete
  7. Since I'm spending more time with dry flies, I love those takes. Just wish I had Brookie streams out here like that. I know we have some, I have to find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Kautz,
      Thanks.
      It's wonderful to see a trout take a dry fly. It's the visual that's so exciting.

      Delete
  8. And I love reading about days like this. Looks absolutely pristine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. e.m.b.,
      Thanks.
      We probably get many more days like it, but I enjoy them like it was the only one.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous fish!!! Nice shot of your feet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TROUT1,
      Thanks.
      It was nice and cool, both the water and the photo.

      Delete
  10. Brk
    Absolute beautiful brookies and the last image was perfect for framing. I am glad you mentioned the wet wading because I am going to try it next week when I fish our tailrace. The water below the dam is close to 62 degrees. Thanks for a sharing a great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bill Trussell,
    Thanks.
    Wet wading can be so refreshing. I hope you do well on that tail water.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kind of fishing Alan. I do have waders, but I can't remember the last time they saw use. Nothing like small natives in a small stream with the cool waters washing over you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful images-love the Brook Trout! This blog takes me to my days of fly fishing and remembrance of the peaceful times along small streams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JimB,
      Thanks.
      Sometimes the brookies can be so photogenic. I'm glad I was able to take you back.

      Delete
  14. Looks like a perfect day. Beautiful brookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey,
      Thanks.
      It sure was. We love our brookies.

      Delete
  15. The colors and the water effect in the last photo are awesome my man..Brk Trt, you are my hero!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. penbayman,
      Thanks.
      I'm happy they turned out so well.

      Delete