Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Garage and Basement Shopping


The other day while picking and sorting and throwing away I came upon this plastic tote with some interesting stuff. They were items I knew I had but haven't seen them in years.
The pattern book by Jack Gartside. The book was purchased at one of the fly fishing shows and was signed by Jack. The man was quite a tyer of both fresh and salt water flies and is responsible for hundreds of patterns. A Boston "cabbie" and purveyor of his own fly tying materials by walking the road sides around Boston. His most famous photo, I believe was of him on a floating giraffe with a fly rod and fishing for stripers. This photo was on the cover of "Salt Water Sportsman"




A article on fishing streamers taken from a 1936 Field and Stream magazine.
It's a good article and well done. On another page is an ad for Bristol Fishing Tackle. The company was located in Bristol, Connecticut. They sold bamboo fly rods and fly reels along with fly lines. Check the prices.



I also came across these streamers. They are a few of my early attempts. At that time I didn't give them names. I guess they will be known as unnamed streamer 1 and 2.

Digging around in old boxes in the cellar and garage can be like buying stuff all over again.

23 comments:

  1. Often times when I do, with the expectations of getting rid of junk, my search is rewarded with, "I was wondering where I put that!" In a safe spot, so safe it was the same as being lost. And htose magazine articles are great for bits of knowledge from the old timers..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. penbayman,
      Thanks.
      Those articles hold some of the good stories of the simpler times in fly fishing.

      Delete
  2. Taking a trip down memory lane is fun sometimes. Nice ties for first attempts for sure. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johnny Utah,
      Thanks.
      Some cellars are like museums, and they don't know it.

      Delete
  3. I love when stuff like that happens. I went through the same thing a few weeks back while cleaning and purging the basement for the remodel. Amazing the pictures, books and items you come across that you forgot about over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,
      Thanks.
      Some of the stuff are very pleasant finds.

      Delete
  4. Very interesting post. I love looking through all kinds of old fishing stuff, esp. books. To me, looking at things like these are like taking a walk through Cooperstown. I really like the streamer on the left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi,
      Thanks.
      Cooperstown, now there's a museum. Great place.

      Delete
  5. #1 and #2 look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brk
    Good looking streamers even at the beginner stage. Reading old fly fishing material is interesting, mainly to see what was the norm during that period. It is also interesting to see how the sport has changed since those early days. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Trussell,
      Thanks.
      There have been many changes in the way we fly fish. I still prefer the simple way.

      Delete
  7. I love digging through stuff -- boxes packed away for years, forgotten. Remembering is a beautiful thing...as are those flies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. e.m.b.,
      Thanks.
      It's enjoying the same gift twice.

      Delete
  8. It's amazing at the stuff you didn't realize you packed away - which is one of the reasons I don't mind going through the boxes of stuff. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Passinthru Outdoors,
      Thanks.
      Your own tag sale. Unhurried.

      Delete
  9. Hey Alan......leave it to a Boston cabbie to improvise with roadside materials. Maybe he hung out with Dave Cowens in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe one of these days as I'm digging though all the stuff I have packed away, I might find the 6 bottles of Elmer's Glue that's gone missing. I know there's no cool fly stuff anywhere so I'd settle for that.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoreman,
      Thanks. I just stopped laughing. 6 bottles of Elmers Glue.
      Great.

      Delete
  11. If you start tossing stuff away from that basement of your call me up. I'll go 'American Picker' on it. You got some gold buried in there I'm sure of it. Nice finds Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AYearOnTheFly,
      Thanks.
      There just might be. My wife says it collects dust.
      "American Picker"...love it.

      Delete
  12. Very neat items , I love the title of that book by Jack..."Fly Patterns for the Adventurous Tyer". Some interesting patterns within those pages I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete