Friday, July 23, 2010

A Small Stream






With the dry times we have been through over the last weeks, we in the last few days have recieved some rains. The stream in this post has been in my thoughts for the last few weeks and I have monitored the stream closely, and I'm happy to say it has come up some and its flow as well as its temps improving greatly.

I walked this stream this morning and was very much excited with what I saw. The stream temps were between 60 and 64 degrees, with much better flows. I again saw many juvenile brook trout, darting all over. In one pool I watched for several minutes the trout using the streams overhanging vegetation for protection as they moved along.

I had my fly rod and dropped an Elk Hair Caddis into a deeper run, as it floated down it was soon swiped at by a fine healthy brook trout. When the fish came to hand, a quick photo and off he went. That was the only time a fly was drifted on that stream today.

It rained all day today, and is raining with gusto as I write this blog.
Perhaps the stream and its wild ones will be OK.

4 comments:

  1. fine looking fish.lots of rain last few days but only made it hotter.was planning on going to the farmington today but to hot.dave in north haven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you're getting some rain up there. This summer has been especially brutal, but I have a feeling those brookies will find a way. Days like we've been having kinda makes one look forward to a brisk September morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave,

    Thanks for the comment.

    I agree with you. The heat kind of takes the river trip out of your mind. Perhaps tomorrow, early AM or evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. troutrageous,

    That first crisp 45 degree morning of the year is going to be savored.


    Brk Trt

    ReplyDelete